Back to title page
Just Want To Say Thank You LORD
(1 Thess. 5:14-23 Text V.18)
Intro: This coming Thursday is Thanksgiving the world will call it turkey day because they don’t want to identify any responsibility or dept to God. But thanksgiving is not about a turkey, it is about being thankful for the blessings of GOD!
1. In verse 18 we are told that it is "the will of God" for us to be thankful. One may ask; when should I be thankful? "In every thing give thanks". That means when it is good and when it is bad, when were up when were down, when things are right when thing wrong!
2. We are to be thankful! The bible says in (Col 3:15) And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. Here we see the peace of God is connected to being thankful, and thankfulness is connected to the peace of God!
3. We are Commanded in the word of God to Give thanks; (1Ch 16:8) Give thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people. (1Ch 16:34) O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever. (Ps 92:1) A Psalm or Song for the Sabbath day. It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High: (Ps 105:1) O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. (Ps 106:1) Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. (Ps.107:1) O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. (Ps 118:1) O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever. (Ps 118:29) O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.(Ps 136:1) O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. (Ps.136:2) O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever. (Ps 136:26) O give thanks unto the God of heaven: for his mercy endureth for ever.
4. With that in mind I would like to elaborate on some things I am thankful for:
I. Consider I am thankful for Salvation. (V.19)
1. I am thankful I have been saved by the Grace of God. When I think of being saved (Eph.2:8-9) come to mind "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast."
2. I am also reminded of what Isaiah said in (Isa 45:22) Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. Thank God salvation is Supplied, it is Simple, it is Supernatural, and it is Singular! As we consider the subject of salvation I want to consider three things;
A. Notice salvation is Extreme.
1. What I mean extreme is in the CHANGE in the life of the sinner that gets saved. Brother it is such an extreme change Paul said in (2Co 5:17) Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
B. Notice salvation is Excellent.
1. This speaks of salvation worth or value Which means it is Unequaled, Unparalleled, and Unmatched. God’s salvation is like God in, for you cant compare him to any and his salvation can’t be compared to any.
2. Paul referred to God’s salvation in (Heb 2:3) How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him
3. Salvation is great because of its Author, its great because of what it Accomplishes, it great because of its Authority!
C. Notice salvation is Effective.
1. What I mean effective is it takes care of the problem the bible says in (Php.1:6) Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: Paul was confident that if God began the work of salvation He was able to perform it in the life!
D. Notice salvation is Eternal.
1. Paul speaking of the accomplishment of Jesus concerning salvation said of Him; (Heb 5:9) And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
II. Consider I am thankful for the Scriptures. (V.19)
1. I thank God for the word of God this bible is precious to me (Ps 119:105) Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (Ps 126:6) He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.
A. Notice I am thankful for the scriptures Preservation.
1. The bible says in (Ps 119:89) For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. God’s word is forever settled in heaven it will never change!
2. (Mr 13:31) Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. I glad some things never change!
B. Notice I am thankful for the scriptures Purity.
1. (Psa.12:6-7) The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
C. Notice I am thankful for the scriptures Power.
1. (Ro 10:17) So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Heb 11:3) Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. (1Pe 1:23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
III. Consider I am thankful for the Sanctuary.
1. I thank God for the House Of God, I will bring it a little closer I am thankful for Fair Haven Baptist Church! I LOVE the church.
2.Today, more is said against the church than for the church. 1. Some say that the church is full of hypocrites. 2. Some say that the church has become a social organization. 3. Some say that the church no longer portrays the love of Christ.
3. There has been a great forsaking of the assembling in the past few decades with the majority unchurched at the present. 1. Church attendance is at an all time low with more churches and professing Christians than ever. 2. The faithful few that make up the nucleus of the local church have become fewer in number, especially Sunday and Wednesday night crowds.
1. I Love The Church Because It Is A Place That God Loves - Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.
2. I Love The Church Because It Is A Place Of Worship - Psalms 5:7 But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.
3. I Love The Church Because It Is A Place Of Preaching And Teach God’s Word - 1 Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
4. I Love The Church Because It Is A Place Where God’s People Gather - Psalms 55:14 We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company. (The greatest people on earth are there!)
5. I Love The Church Because It Is a Place Where Sinners Are Both Sought And Loved - Luke 14:23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. Matthew 9:10 And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.
6. I Love The Church Because It Is God’s Instrument For World Evangelism -
7. I Love The Church Because It Was There That I Heard The True Gospel Preached And Was Gloriously and Eternally Saved – Luke 18:10, 13-14 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican … And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
8. I Love The Church Because It Is A Place Of Comfort And Spiritual Joy - Psalms 122:1 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.
9. I Love The Church Because It Is An Encouragement Filling Station - Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
10. I Love The Church Because It Is Just A Little Bit Of Heaven On Earth - Psalms 84:1-12 How amiable are thy tabernacles, O LORD of hosts! My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God. Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God. Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah. Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them. Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well; the rain also filleth the pools. They go from strength to strength, every one of them in Zion appeareth before God. O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer: give ear, O God of Jacob. Selah. Behold, O God our shield, and look upon the face of thine anointed. For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly. O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.
A. Notice I thank God for the Message of the Church.
B. Notice I thank God for the Members of the Church.
C. Notice I thank God for the Master of the Church.
D. Notice I thank God for the Mission of the Church.
E. Notice I thank God for the Ministry of the Church.
IV. Consider I am thankful for the Saviour. (V.19)
1. How could we ever thank Him for what He has done there are three areas I will consider this morning.
A. Notice I am thankful for His Passion.
1. I am thankful for the Lord Jesus’ unconditional love; (Ro 5:8) But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
B. Notice I am thankful for His Pursuit.
1. (Lu 19:10) For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost. I was not looking for Him but thank God He was looking for me!
C. Notice I am thankful for His Propitiation.
1. (Ro 3:25) Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; (1Jo 2:2) And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (1Jo.4:10) Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
D. Notice I am thankful for His Promise.
1. (Joh.14:1) Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (Tit 2:13) Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Jesus is coming again!
Pastor Chris Norris
Fair Haven Baptist Church